Texas Hash – Cheap Dinner
This recipe came out of one of my grandma’s church cookbooks. These are cookbooks that I treasure with my whole heart. And even though this recipe does not come from my family, it comes from a sweet Christian lady, named Bobbie Dupuy, and to me that’s still exciting!
The only big changes I made was that I double the rice and liquid. I knew 1/2 cup rice was not enough. So I hope you will enjoy this recipe as much as my family did. It really is easy and delicious!
SHOP THESE PLATES AT TARGET – click link here
How To Make Italian Flavored Texas Hash Using Brown Rice:
- 1 pound ground beef, pork, or shredded chicken
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 zucchinis, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
Follow directions below, except you will extend the cooking time to 90 minutes.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 onion diced
- 1 small can of diced chilies mild
- 1 16oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can water use tomato can and fill with water
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9X13 baking dish.
- In a large skillet, cook onion and meat together under meat is cooked through.
- Drain off any fat, then in a mix bowl add all ingredients together.
- Pour into the baking dish, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 1 hour.