This sweet and sour chicken meatball bowls have become a real favorite in our home. We love the texture of the meatballs and we absolutely love Walmart’s frozen bags of deluxe stir-fry veggies! The convenience of the bag with a mixture of my favorite veggies is perfect!
This meal can easily come together within 30 minutes, but it can come together even faster if you have the meatballs prepped the night before. Often times I will bake the meatballs the day before.
This recipe came to me from an Asian meatball appetizer I created a few years ago. My whole family loves meatballs, so I thought why not try them in a dish like this, and now it’s a huge hit! Enjoy!
Sweet and Sour Chicken Meatball Bowls
- 2 pounds ground chicken ground turkey would work too
- 1/4 cup almond flour ground oats, or bread crumbs would work too
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp. sliced green onions
- 2 Tbsp. gf soy sauce
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- salt and pepper
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1 can pineapple chunks with juice
- 1/2 cup honey or pure maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp. gf soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce optional
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. corn starch tapioca starch works too
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 20oz bag frozen deluxe stir-fry veggies
- 1 12oz bag frozen brocooli
- cooked rice or cauliflower rice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook the rice. I cook 2 cups of jasmine rice with 4 cups of water for 20 minutes.
- Mix all the meatball ingredients together, then scoop out with a melon ball scoop, or 2 inch size meatballs. Line up on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes in the oven. (Meatballs can also be cooked on the stove, but it is quicker to cook them all at once in the oven.)
- In a large skillet, cook the veggies until tender, then add pineapple chunks. Mix all the sauce ingredients together and pour over the veggies. Cook over low heat until sauce starts to thicken. Once meatballs are done, add them to the skillet and coat them in the veggies and sauce.
- Spoon the meatballs, veggies, and sauce over some rice and serve!
- This meal only takes about 30 minutes to prepare if you move quickly. Enjoy!