It’s important for me to feed my kids foods that they look forward to, or beg to eat. I want my kids to one day say, “My mom always made the best food” or “My favorite dish mom made was…” Cooking is just such a passion of mine, but eating plant based has caused this common saying among my kids, “Well we can’t eat THAT anymore…”
I hate that! I want my kids to get excited about plant based eating, and NO my kids are not plant based 100%, only at home. So creating these nuggets was important to me, and the kids LOVE them!!!! YAY!!!!
You can customize the flavors of these wee-nuggets to taste however you’d like!
Additional add-ins could be:
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and pepper
- more garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Cumin and other Mexican spices
- mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 (15oz) can lentils, drained and rinsed white beans could also be used
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp. ketchup tomato paste could work too
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix all ingredients together in a food processor, minus the water.
- As you'll see, it's hard to get the rice and lentils to totally combine, so use the water to help bind the mixture. You might not need all 3 Tbsp, depending on how much liquid your rice has, so use your best judgment. You want the mixture to totally combine, and still be very thick.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop out your nuggets. Once you fill your tray, wet your fingers and gently push the nuggets down to take on a "nugget" shape.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Then, pull out and let the nuggets rest for a few minutes before transferring to a plate or cooling rack.