Being gluten-free makes eating plant-based just a bit more difficult. I stay away from oil as well, so finding a good loaf of bread is impossible! So, this means I have to come up with my own recipes.
I was making my black bean burger patties for dinner, and I wanted to try to make a homemade hamburger bun (still trying to figure it out)… I developed this recipe and was super excited! They came out of the oven, and immediately I told my daughter “these smell like biscuits!” After I let them cool a bit, I tasted one and sure enough, biscuits.
I do not suggest trying to cut them in half like a biscuit. They will crumble a bit. Just flip them over to the flat side, lather with some jelly and enjoy!
You can eat them cold or hot, and they will not dry out. They stay so moist and biscuit like. I truly love this recipe, and I hope you do too!
Note: I buy my brown rice flour in the bulk section at Winco. I grind my own oats in a blender to make oat flour.
Plant-Based Gluten-Free Biscuits
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add dry ingredients and stir to combine. Then add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir well. Let the batter rest for 5 minutes before continuing.
- Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop batter into, then pour the measured batter onto the cookie sheet, making sure that batter stays in a circular shape (like a biscuit).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes,or until golden brown on the bottom.