How to make homemade laundry detergent in a liquid or dry form is very easy to do on a budget. Homemade laundry detergent is about 50% cheaper or more, than purchasing store bought laundry detergent.
How do I make my own natural laundry detergent?
It’s so easy to make your own natural laundry detergent with a few key ingredients. It takes about 20 minutes for me to make enough laundry detergent to last us 2 months. My husband and I are very pleased with these 2 recipes. Having the option to use dry detergent and liquid detergent is very enticing to us. Both work great and have really helped with our household laundry bill.
Is it worth making your own laundry detergent?
We find that it’s definitely worth the time to make our own laundry detergent. I typically make the laundry detergent while the kids are at school, but the recipes are easy enough for my daughters to make on their own. I like that the ingredients are natural, cheap, and can be put together in equal parts. Because the recipes are so easy, I never get upset about having to make them. It really is quite effortless and takes very little time.
What are the ingredients in homemade laundry soap?
The ingredients to make homemade laundry soap is simple. Just keep these ingredients on hand and you’ll always be able to make homemade laundry detergent.
Dry Laundry Detergent
- Washing Soda
- Baking Soda
- Oxi Clean
Liquid Laundry Detergent
- Washing Soda
- Castile Soap
What kind of soap do you use to make homemade laundry detergent?
To make the liquid laundry soap you don’t need many ingredients, but it’s important to have castile soap on hand. I have tried the bar soap method to make laundry detergent, however it’s more of a process to make. I really like the ease of making the liquid soap using castile soap, and it doesn’t require very much to make a 1 gallon jar.
How do I make cheap laundry detergent?
Making your own laundry detergent is so cheap! The dry and liquid laundry detergent recipes are both cheap to make and require very little time to put together as well. The cost break down is quite simple and both recipes cost around $4.00 to make. You could never get laundry detergent for that price in store!
Other Recipes You Might Like:
- Quick & Easy Plain Oatmeal Bread
- Sourdough Bread Recipe Easy – No Stretch and Folds
- 11 Tips – Saving Money On Food When Food Prices Are Going Up
- 8 Ways To Eat Healthy On A Budget
Homemade LIQUID Laundry Detergent Recipe
- 16 cups water divided
- 1 cup borax
- 1 cup washing soda
- 1 cup castile soap
- 30 drops essential oils optional
- In a heat proof mixing bowl, add borax and washing soda.
- Boil 8 cups of water. I use an electric kettle to heat the water, but you can boil water on the stove.
- Pour hot water over the borax and washing soda. Stir well to dissolve.
- Once dissolved, pour in castile soap and stir again.
- Pour or ladle the mixture into a gallon jar or bucket, or divide the mixture into (2) ½ gallon jars, this is what I do.
- Fill the jars the rest of the way full with water, or measure out the proper amount (8 more cups).
- (Optional) add essential oils. I like to use lavender in my laundry detergent.
- To a lid on and gently swirl the jars to combine the soap, essential oils, and water.
- Add ¼ cup to each load of laundry.
Homemade DRY Laundry Detergent Recipe
- 2 cups borax
- 2 cups washing soda
- 2 cups baking soda
- 2 cups Oxi Clean
- In a container with a lid, add all the ingredients to the container.
- If you are worried about clumps, you can add the ingredients to a food processor and process until smooth.
- Once all the ingredients are added you can put the lid on tight and shake the container.
- Add ¼ cup of the mixture to a load of laundry.