Homemade Protein Shake
I love making a good smoothie in the morning, but often times I add too much fruit and very little protein. Protein and carbs are really important in the morning to help jump start your day. Eating protein when you first wake up helps stabilize your blood sugar and helps reduce hunger and build muscle, while carbs help fuel your brain and body. The 2 put together are essential in the morning, and help you feel fuller longer.
So this is the protein powder formula that I came up with. It really fuels my husband and me, it’s high in protein, it’s all ingredients that I can pronounce, and I feel great after drinking it!!! I am so excited to share my recipe with you, and I really hope you enjoy it as much as we do! Below I want to share with you the breakdown in cost. It’s all mapped out for you, so you can enjoy this protein shake too.
Protein Shake Cost Breakdown:
- Trader Joe’s Raw Shelled Hemp Seed, 8oz – $5.99 at Trader Joe’s
- PBFit Organic Peanut Butter Powder (sweetened with coconut sugar), 30oz – $11.99 at Costco
- Cocoa Powder – prices vary depending on your favorite variety
- Coconut Sugar, 7.05oz – $.99 at 99 Cent Store
This shake may be higher in calories and fat than other pre-made purchased shake powders, but it’s nutrient dense, and gives you good healthy fats that your body can use as fuel! There is 1 Tablespoon of coconut sugar and I wouldn’t add any less. That 1 Tablespoon gives you the perfect balance of sweet, but not too sweet. If you want to try it with another sweetener go ahead, but coconut sugar has become our favorite alternative sweetener (and honey) to regular white sugar.
Nutrition Facts for Powder Mix Only:
So here is the mix I have made up into individual containers for my husband, that way he can quickly make himself a shake when I’m gone and it’ll taste the same every time. I bought these Ziploc containers at Walmart.
Homemade Protein Shake
- 2 Tbsp. hemp seeds
- 2 Tbsp. peanut butter powder
- 1-2 Tbsp. cocoa powder depending on how chocolaty you like your shakes
- 1 Tbsp. coconut sugar
- Put protein powder mix together and place in a single serving blender. (We add 1 ½ Tbsp. cocoa powder)
- Add ½ cup spinach leaves, I freeze spinach
- ½ chopped banana, I freeze banana chunks
- 1 cup milk, any kind will work.
- Blend all ingredients together for the perfect protein shake!