Egg roll in a bowl is the perfect $5 dinner on busy weeknights. Add this cheap dinner idea to your meal plan and enjoy this crowd pleasing meal.
$5 Dinner Idea
Today’s $5 dinner idea is brought to you by Beth Fennema. She is one of our friends from Instagram, and she shared an easy meal that her family enjoys.
Cost Breakdown – Definitely right at $5.00:
- Ground beef or pork – $2.50-$3.00
- Broth – $1.00 or less
- Bagged Salad or Cabbage – $1.00 or less
- Cooked Rice (optional) – $1.00
Purchasing A Whole Cabbage Stretches This Dish Even Farther
We have made egg roll in a bowl many times before, and my family has always enjoyed it. To make this meal stretch farther, purchase a whole cabbage. Slice it up yourself to reap even more health benefits, as eating freshly chopped cabbage gives you more nutrients than buying pre-packaged lettuce or coleslaw blends.
Also, I have added that soy sauce would be delicious to top it with. I love the saltiness of soy sauce. We typically buy Tamari, since it doesn’t contain wheat.
How To Make Egg Roll In A Bowl
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef or pork.
- Drain off any fat.
- Add coleslaw or salad mixture to the beef, and add broth.
- Once the lettuce begins to wilt, the mixture is done.
- Serve this meat mixture over some rice and top with a little soy sauce.
Often times I have seen this meal with many more ingredients, but more ingredients means more money. This recipe is simple, and yet still very filling. This is definitely a $5 dinner your family will enjoy!
Egg Roll In A Bowl
- 1 pound ground beef or pork
- 1 cup broth chicken, beef, or vegetable
- 1 bag markdown salad mix or coleslaw mix
- In a large skillet, brown meat and drain off any fat.
- To the ground meat, add the bagged lettuce or cabbage and 1 cup of broth.
- Cover the pan, and cook on medium-low heat until the lettuce wilts.
- You can serve this over cook rice to make the meal more complete.
- Top with soy sauce (optional).
Want To See More $5 Dinner Ideas?
- Texas Hash – Cheap Dinner
- Homemade Taquitos
- Rice and Beans Recipe Collection
- Instant Pot Vegan Black Bean Soup