This cheap red lentil soup is the perfect healthy meal when you’re trying to save money on groceries. Serve with a slice of bread of crackers and you have a delicious meal.
This soup recipe can easily be turned into a white bean soup. Instead of adding red lentils, add 2 cans of white beans.
Red Lentil Soup
Add all of these ingredients to the soup, or use what you have. This soup is so varsitle and the perfect cheap soup. As long as you have some onion, broth and red lentils, you can make a great soup!
- ½ onion, diced
- 5-6 stalks celery, chopped
- 5 carrots, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced 1 tsp garlic powder will work too
- 2 cups chopped potatoes
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 2 32oz cartons of vegetable broth
- 4 cups chopped kale, or other green like spinach or swiss chard
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- pepper to taste
- In a dutch oven, over medium heat, add 1 Tb olive oil. Add diced onion, chopped celery, carrots, potatoes, and garlic.
- Stir frequently for 4-5 minutes. Add red lentils, broth, chopped kale. Do not add any salt or pepper yet.
- Once the soup comes to a boil, cover the soup with a lid and cook for 15 minutes.
- Turn the burner off, stir the soup, and add the salt and pepper.
- Serve soup with sliced bread or crackers and enjoy.
Please Note: The links in this post are affiliate links, and I will receive a small compensation when you use my links to make a purchase. I would appreciate your support, as this website helps support my family.
I made this today and it’s delicious! I usually don’t like lentil soup but the red lentils make a huge difference.