This cheap red lentil soup is the perfect healthy meal when you’re trying to save money on groceries. Serve with a slice of bread of crackers and you have a delicious meal.
This soup recipe can easily be turned into a white bean soup. Instead of adding red lentils, add 2 cans of white beans.
Red Lentil Soup
- ½ onion, diced
- 5-6 stalks celery, chopped
- 5 carrots, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced 1 tsp garlic powder will work too
- 2 cups chopped potatoes
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 2 32oz cartons of vegetable broth
- 4 cups chopped kale, or other green like spinach or swiss chard
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- pepper to taste
- In a dutch oven, over medium heat, add 1 Tb olive oil. Add diced onion, chopped celery, carrots, potatoes, and garlic.
- Stir frequently for 4-5 minutes. Add red lentils, broth, chopped kale. Do not add any salt or pepper yet.
- Once the soup comes to a boil, cover the soup with a lid and cook for 15 minutes.
- Turn the burner off, stir the soup, and add the salt and pepper.
- Serve soup with sliced bread or crackers and enjoy.